Thursday, September 2, 2010

Goodbye to Ellen!

This week, my supervisor and friend at ABANTU for Development will be leaving ABANTU to pursue a Master's degree in Amsterdam. Ellen is an intelligent, kind, funny and energetic woman and although I am sad to see her go, I am so happy that she has the opportunity to further her studies!

On Sunday, Ellen invited me to her home to have lunch with her and her family. She lives in an area near Teshie-Nungwa (not sure if that's the right spelling but it does sounds like that). Ellen is married with two lovely and adorable sons. However, true to the Ghanaian sense of the word "family", our lunch was not limited to her immediate family. No no no.

Our final tally of guests at the end of the evening? 12 people

Ellen, her husband, her two sons, her parents, our ABANTU coworker Gertrude, Ellen's 3 sisters and one of Ellen's husband's cousin and myself.
Ellen cooking up a storm in the kitchen!
Fried plantains - an essential for every Ghanaian meal. 

The yummiest dinner in Ghana! (for me thus far).


As the hostess of the party, Ellen was quite busy and perhaps felt a bit guilty that I was sitting with her two sons watching educational DVDs marketed to a 3 - 6 year old audience demographic (hey! It taught me how to make corn chips through. And I learned a whole slew of new songs about Jesus!) So being the lovely hostess that she is, Ellen tried very hard for everyone to play a game of Scrabble with the Obroni. I was excited at the idea but no one was catching the bait. Not one tile had been placed before the Scrabble board was fashioned into a coaster for the family's drinks. Oh well, next time.

Here are some photos of this very welcoming and endearing family.
Me, Mr. Ja (Ellen's husband) and Ellen
Family portrait... kind of. One of Ellen's sons ran away to play with a bicycle and one of her sisters had to take over my role as photographer.
Gertrude, Ellen and me. It's only a matter of time before I pull out my classic Gabrielle idiot poses.


Well, the departure parties did not end with this lunch/dinner. Earlier last week, a coworker at ABANTU asked if I will be able to attend Ellen's goodbye party at ABANTU. Assuming it was some kind of "lunch on the house okay goodbye let's get back to work", I answered yes and signed my name on the attendance sheet.

I arrived at work yesterday morning to find caterers, a dj and event crew setting up what looked like the scene for a small wedding in front of ABANTU.

When Canadians leave their job, they are lucky to get a firm handshake and a reference. At ABANTU, apparently leaving the organization merits a GIANT PARTY. 

I was absolutely amazed at the love and generosity ABANTU showed a staff member who was leaving the organization. The intimate work culture here at ABANTU really shows through. As said by a fellow coworker who played the afternoon's Emcee (yes the event had an emcee, a microphone, music, dancing) ABANTU is a family. And saying goodbye to Ellen was like saying goodbye to a loved family member. *TEAR*!

Well, Ghanaians aren't ones to dwell on shmultzy things like goodbyes. So the party got reared up with food, music and crazy dancing!

Folks eating. This was my first time eating the dish "Banku." Banku is like a cooked maize that has a doughy texture and a bit of a bitter taste. You take a piece in your hand, fashion it into a scoop-like shape, then dip it into the accompanied stew (in this case, okro and fish stew) and then shove it in your mouth. I made a huge mess as would be expected by a rookie. But with the encouragement of others, I think I got the hang of it by the end. As appreciative as I was of this authentic cultural experience, I have to admit I was pretty relieved to see the pasta salad with accompanying forks afterwards.  
 
ABANTU staff dancing away!
Cheap entertainment: a dancing obroni 
How low can you go? Okay I admit that was a cheezy caption.

Folley and Ellen having a blast. This is better than a retirement party!
ABANTU staff with some extra bodies from Ellen's family (including the child peeking right into the camera lens). I was apparently looking at the wrong camera in this shot.
Ellen accepting a gift from ABANTU wishing her well on her journey. More importantly, if you direct your attention to Ellen's ears, those are the earrings I bought her as a parting gift.   
Good luck to Ellen! You will be greatly missed! 

Next time I find myself at a job interview, I will be sure to ask my potential employer whether they have budgeted a party for my resignation. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. You can market this concept thru the Spotlight Project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gabby, this is very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete