Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Getting Situated

At around 9:00pm on Monday night, Mr. Adusei, a staff member at Abantu kindly picked me up from the airport and drove me to my host family's house located in an area called Labone. My host family consists of Mr. and Mrs. Osei and their little two-year old daughter Briana. They are also hosting some other volunteers - an American girl, a French girl and a British girl.

The sites along the drive to the Osei's house were quite captivating. Little makeshift booths and three-walled stores line the streets as men and women with selling miscellaneous items (everything from plantains to super-glue) come up to the car and try to sell you their goods.

"No, I'm not sure I'm in need of super glue just yet." I politely responded... In my head.

Mr. Adusei was quite pleased that the radio was playing Carlos Santana all night as it was the guitar guru's 63rd birthday that day. I felt like apologizing on behalf of Canadians for soiling Santana's career with our nation's biggest mysterious success - Nickleback's Chad Kruger. I figured I could leave this negative opinion to myself.

After having a comfort coffee, I went to bed and had a good night's sleep. The next morning and afternoon, the American volunteer showed me around the area of OSU ( a fairly big area of town with more expats than usual) and a cafe with great coffee.

Had some trouble getting money out of the bank and my phone unlocked but the nice people at Abantu (where I am working) helped me get these problems solved.

It's my first day at the office and I'm just going to do as much research as possible on the project ahead of me. Pics and more stories to come.

2 comments:

  1. Yay - sounds like everything is copacetic so far!! That's a lot of ladies living under one roof - do all 4 of you stay in the same room.

    It is always good to know where you can get super glue in case of an emergency.

    Miss you & hope you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete